ICASSA was established to coordinate the exchanges, seminars and research activities for China Africa Studies that began in 2007 and focuses on two main objectives.
- Strengthen academic and strategic linkages including joint research and exchanges; and
- Strengthen private sector collaboration and opportunities, and address challenges to this sector through practical support.
- Held 7 symposia and several seminars on China-Africa relations in southern Africa since 2007;
- Presented more than 20 papers at seminars and workshops in China since 2010, and several articles;
- Organised roundtables for major Chinese enterprises including public and private sector; and
- Established a wide network of researchers and policy makers in Africa and China.
The Chinese character used in the ICASSA logo is “ben”, which
means the source or root (of local knowledge), origin and is also
used as a book classification system meaning book or manuscript,
or edition, current, present.